Photographic workshop "Historical Carnival of Ivrea"
14th-15th february 2015
We will experience carnival under every point of view.
Saturday afternoon there will be the first meeting with the carnival experts dedicated to its deep historical roots for which reason it can be called “historical”
Saturday evening we will feel the vibrant atmosphere while waiting for the proclamation of the “mugnaia” and then parading with them through the town streets and then the fireworks.
The workshop is dedicated to:
- Professional photographers
- Expert amateur photographers
The workshop is dedicated to professional photographers and expert amateurs who are well prepared to use their equipment and wish to accomplish their own reportage of the event.
It is of great importance to know how to use your equipment well because during the battle your camera will be covered with protective tape ( supplied by us ) that will hide all leverage and buttons.
The workshop will focus mainly on the historical and cultural aspects of the carnival by developping direct contacts with its protagonists. Together we will assess the photographic techniques by presenting a slideshow.
Saturday 14th february 2015 (First day of the workshop)
- Participants arrival and meeting in the hall of the hotel "La Villa"
- Introducing the workshop
- Slideshow to assess the best photographic techniques to use during the “battle”
- Meeting with Gabriella Gianotti, an expert of the historical carnival of ivrea
- Further insight of the event to discover all the hisotrical passages that have lead to nowadays carnival
- How the battle of oranges originates and what it represents
- First meeting with the “aranceri” of the “scacchi” team at their head quarters to discover the passion and love for their town
- We will take the first shots of some carnival protagonists
- Proclamation of the “vezzosa mugnaia 2015”
- We will reach piazza ferruccio nazionale better known as “piazza di citta’” where the municipality is located
- We shall wait for the proclamation of the “vezzosa mugnaia” who will appear at the municipality balcony
- We will follow the historical parade marching through the town
- Taking pictures of the historical characters and the “aranceri” of the walking teams
- Back to the hotel
Sunday 15th february (Second day of the workshop)
- Historical parade – fagiolate (typical dish) - “preda in dora”
- Meeting in piazza Ferruccio Nazionale known as “piazza di citta’”
- We will follow the historical parade through the town streets and attend all the commemorations: oath of allegiance of the “Podestà’”
- Visit of the “mugnaia” and the general to the fundraising “fagiolata” and preda in dora on PonteVecchio.
- Second meeting with the “scacchi”
- Quick lunch in one of the many food stands in the town
- Meeting at the scacchi headquarters
- Preparing the photographic equipment for the “battle”
- Living the wait for the “battle” with the aranceri, feel the pathos increase and capture the tension that lasted a year.
- Together with the team we reach the square assigned to them
- Then the final liberatory shout : “maschere!!”
- The “battle of oranges”
- First square: piazza ottinetti where the Scacchi and Arduini teams throw the oranges
- Second square: Piazza di Citta’ where the Asso di Picche and Morte teams throw the oranges
- Third square: Borghetto where the Tuchini team is located
- Fourth square: Piazza del Rondolino where the Pantere Nere, the Diavoli and the Mercenari are located
- Fifth square: Piazza Freguglia where the latest team “the Credendari” is situated
- End of the battle
- Dinner with typical local products
- Dinner at the restaurant
- Exchange of impressions and narration of your experience
- The end of the workshop
There will be a bus especially for our group
The meeting on saturday afternoon will be with gabriella gianotti an expert of the historical carnival foundation.
Hotel La Villa
Via Torino, 334, 10015 Ivrea
Tel 0125 631696 www.ivrealavilla.com
- See inside
What to bring:
- One or more reflex cameras (or bridge cameras, if you have one)
- 18-55mm zoom lenses for aps-c and 24-70mm zoom lenses for Full Frame, and telephoto lenses that can be used without the monopod
- Fixed zoom lenses such as 24 - 28 -35- 5 mm (they are very handy and perfect for “brave photographers”)
Clothing and shoes:
- Waterproof shoes: hiking boots, combat boots or rubber boots
- Robust trousers (your jeans will be perfect)
- A pullover with a zip that you can open or close depending on the temperature
- A robust rain jacket
Vai alla versione italiana di questa pagina.
Deadline for enrolment: January 10th, 2015.
Available places: 12
Enrolment is subject to payment of the fee using PayPal (by clicking on the button next to each one of the available options) or by bank transfer (stating the option you prefer on this form)
You can choose among 4 options:
1 - One person, Workshop only
The fee includes 2 pocket lunches (Saturday at dinner and Sunday at lunch) and shuttle transfers.
2 - One person, Workshop with overnight stays
The fee includes 2 overnight stays in a Hotel with breakfast, 2 pocket lunches (Saturday at dinner and Sunday at lunch), a dinner (on Sunday) in a typical restaurant of the Canavese region and shuttle transfers.
3 - One person (enrolled to the Workshop) + one person (not enrolled to the Workshop), with overnight stays
The fee includes only one person enrolled to the Workshop.
2 overnight stays in a double room in a Hotel with breakfast, 2 pocket lunches (Saturday at dinner and Sunday at lunch), a dinner (on Sunday) in a typical restaurant of the Canavese region and shuttle transfers. The person not enrolled to the Workshop will be allowed to take part in any of the cultural events of the Workshop.
4 - Two people, Workshop with overnight stays
The fee includes 2 overnight stays in a double room in a Hotel with breakfast, 2 pocket lunches (Saturday at dinner and Sunday at lunch), a dinner (on Sunday) in a typical restaurant of the Canavese region and shuttle transfers.